Connect with us

Music

Robin Givens Hits Mike Tyson, Jamie Foxx with Cease & Desist Over Biopic

Published

on

robin givens

Mike Tyson, Robin Givens

*Robin Givens has issued a cease & desist to keep her marital drama out of the upcoming Mike Tyson biopic starring Jamie Foxx.

On Thursday (September 17), Page Six reported that Givens has taken legal action to keep her name out of the script. She reportedly served both Tyson and Foxx with documents last month demanding “that Mr. Tyson cease and desist from further defaming Ms. Givens, and to put those producing, writing and/or directing the proposed Tyson biopic, and those producing Mr. Tyson’s podcast, on notice that they are to refrain from portraying Ms. Givens in a false, negative and defamatory light.”

“While [she] has attempted to move on, she still finds herself fighting the abusive, demeaning and false accounts of their relationship by Mr. Tyson nearly 35 years later,” Givens’s lawyers reportedly said. “It is time for Mr. Tyson to let this marriage be the relic of the past that it is.”

Givens spoke to Andy Cohen on his Sirius radio show in July and when asked whether she hopes she’s not in the movie at all, she said, “Of course” — adding, “the absolute truth would be absolutely yes.”

READ MORE:Mike Tyson: Boxer’s Exhibition Fight Against Roy Jones Jr. Delayed Until November

“You know what term you hear a lot recently, ‘My truth,’ I hear that term. For me, I kind of believe truth is truth,” she continued. “It’s Monday, 7:45 Pacific Time, there are certain things that are true and not true. And for somebody to take history and repurpose it or write what they want is so deeply upsetting to me. I don’t want to get bogged down in that … I think just to be able to lie … you throw enough mud, it sticks. We’re living in this time now where people can say all kinds of things and if you say it loud enough, people believe it.”

When Cohen suggests she reach out to the film’s producers, Givens noted that the #MeToo movement has made it so that she’s not have to do that.

“The climate’s been changed, so you have the #MeToo movement and things that used to be acceptable to do to women or say about women, I don’t think are necessarily acceptable now,” she said.

“I think to be on the other end of what I’ve experienced and to have somebody say, ‘The best punch I ever threw was against Robin and she bounced one wall to the next and was out,’” she continued, repeating a quote from the book “Fire and Fear: The Inside Story of Mike Tyson” attributed to Mike. “I’m literally praying that those things, we’re in a climate where it’s not acceptable, it’s not rewarded, it’s not congratulated and that’s something that truly means a lot to me.”

Givens and Tyson married in 1988, but she filed for divorce just eight months later. In an interview with Barbara Walters, she said being married to the famed boxer was “torture, pure hell.” Watch the interview via the YouTube clip above.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Gospel Duo Juan and Lisa Winans Hit Billboard’s Top Ten Gospel Airplay Chart With ‘It Belongs To Me’ Featuring Marvin L. Winans

Published

on

Juan & Lisa Winans
JuanandLisaWinansPhoto2.5

Juan and Lisa Winans (Photo Courtesy of Dare Records)

*“It Belongs To Me” by gospel duo Juan and Lisa Winans featuring Marvin L. Winans has landed at No. 9 on Billboard’s Gospel Airplay chart this week.

The couple’s first non-holiday track, released on Dare Records, marks their first time charting together as recording artists. “It Belongs To Me” is a beautifully rendered and timely message of faith and assurance, needed during the world’s current time of social and political unrest.

“Having ‘It Belongs To Me’ reach the top ten means that people are hearing the song, and that makes me proud and grateful because I truly believe this message of hope is a much needed one,” says Juan.

“It’s incredible to know that this declaration of faith and hope is reaching so many people,” adds Lisa. “We’re so grateful, and our prayer is that the listener would internalize this message and begin to sing, speak, and shout ‘It Belongs To Me’ over every area of their lives. God is able.”

MORE NEWS: Here’s Jason Whitlock’s Pillow-Soft, A**- Kissing Interview with Trump on Rappers, Black Democrats, Big 10 Football & More

Grammy-nominated recording artists and songwriters Juan and Lisa Winans are today’s millennial Christian couple. Juan, a third-generation member of the legendary Winans family, began his career as a member of Winans Phase 2, along with his eldest brother, Carvin, and his cousins Marvin Winans, Jr., and Michael Winans, Jr. The group’s first recording, We Got Next, debuted at No. 1 on Billboard’s Gospel Album charts. Juan’s father, Carvin Winans, is a member of the five-time Grammy Award-winning group The Winans, which includes his uncles Marvin, Michael, and the late Ronald Winans. Juan also starred in the theatrical production of Born For This: The BeBe Winans Story,” written by his uncle BeBe Winans and also starring his sister, Deborah Joy Winans of the hit drama series, Greenleaf.

Lisa, formerly Lisa Kimmey, is best known as a member and lead songwriter of the chart-topping Contemporary Christian music trio Out of Eden with her sisters Andrea Kimmey-Baca and Danielle Kimmey Torrez. The group released seven career albums from 1994-2006 including the critically-acclaimed No Turning Back, This Is Your Life and Hymns. During Lisa’s tenure, she made a special guest appearance on the ‘90s hit sitcom, “Moesha,” which streaming giant Netflix recently added to its lineup of African American classics from the 1990s and early 2000s. She also was a host of original programming for the Gospel Music Channel and hosted the Verizon Wireless “How Sweet the Sound” choir competition along with Donald Lawrence.

For more information on Juan and Lisa Winans, go to www.juanandlisawinans.com.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

The Supremes Made History When This Album Hit No. 1 on Oct. 22, 1966 [EUR Video Throwback]

Published

on

1FE16357-F905-4B3E-BD0C-5CB135003BE3_1_201_a

 

Continue Reading

Black Celebrity Gossip - Gossip

Jennifer Hudson Shades Nat Geo’s Aretha Franklin Project: ’If It’s Not a Film, It’s Nothing’

Published

on

Jennifer+Hudson+Cats+World+Premiere+USH4EFL5kX-l
Jennifer Hudson & Aretha Franklin (getty)

Jennifer Hudson & Aretha Franklin (Getty)

*Jennifer Hudson has spoken out about her Aretha Franklin biopic “Respect” competing with National Geographic’s limited series on the queen of soul.

The Oscar-winning actress shared a special connection with Franklin. Before her passing in 2018, the music icon gave Hudson her blessing to play her on the big screen.

Meanwhile, Cynthia Erivo has been tapped to play Franklin in Nat Geo’s Genius: Aretha.

In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, Hudson had this to say about the two projects: “I know that Aretha was adamant that [her life] be a film. If it’s not a film, it’s nothing. I’m just honored that she picked me to play her. I mean, who can say that? And again, I would have never done it without her wishes.”

READ MORE: Jennifer Hudson on Playing Aretha Franklin: ‘I Still Feel Like She’s In Me’

“Respect” was set for release in theaters in August 2020, but has been pushed back due to the coronavirus. It will have a limited release in the U.S. on Dec. 25, before a wide release on Jan. 15, 2021.

The film’s director Liesl Tommy previously said this of Hudson, “Jennifer may be one of the most talented people I’ve ever worked with,” she says. Adding, “we were both so humbled by the task that we just agreed that there would be no ego in the process and that Aretha would be the diva in the room at all times, not us.”

Months after filming wrapped, Hudson said this of Franklin: “I still feel like she’s in me, I really do. I just hope to meet her requests. You think you respect Aretha, but once you see the film and you learn her story, you can’t help but to have a newfound respect for her.”

Of her personal connection with Franklin, Hudson shared, “I still have the text chains, so every now and then I look back at them. The last time I spoke to her was Aug. 8, [2018,] and I can honestly say she sang until her last breath.”

Filming on National Geographic’s Genius: Aretha has been halted after a background actor tested positive for COVID-19, Deadline reports. .

Genius: Aretha is slated to debut in early 2021. 

Continue Reading

TV Calendar: Coming to Small Screens

Trending